Overview of CAN and CAN FD technology
The Controller Area Network (CAN) was originally developed as a robust communication technology for use in automobiles. These are its main advantages:
- Only one line/cable is required to network all communication participants.
- CRC and error detection provide a high level of data security.
- Simple implementation of a multi-master system guarantees redundancy.
- Non-destructive bus arbitration guarantees shortest response times and thus real-time behavior.
- Priority-controlled bus access allows the user to distribute priorities.
- Extensive error handling supports the operational reliability of the network.